For centuries, people endeavoured to preserve foodstuffs and to preserve the natural quality of foodstuffs.
Finally, at the beginning of the 20th century, it was the engineer August Brehmer who was one of the first to aim for an all-in-one solution for the packaging and preservation of foodstuffs. Specially for this purpose, he founded the company LUBECA Sterilisations-Autoklaven – in the year 1901 – this is the Latin name of his hometown Lübeck.
In addition to the production of packaging, it was mostly capping machines for circular and non-circular tins that constituted a top priority of the production programme right from the beginning. Even back then, the machinery was delivered according to the customers’ request for manual as well as for automatic operation.
In consequence of the continuously increasing demand, Brehmer realised early on that the preserving industry required universal offerings. As early as in 1902 LUBECA Sterilisations-Autoklaven developed complete systems for canning factories and so managed to enter into the system business of LUBECA that is so important today.
Precise market observation, permanent exchange of information and long years of experience in the manufacturing of cans produced an innovation in 1938 that was to revolutionise the German food market: the production of large-scale positive-pressure autoclaves. Even thin-walled, large-sized tinplate tins could be cooled and cooled under temperature-independent positive pressure without getting deformed. The horizontally arranged autoclaves were fed by means of transport equipment and had an unprecedented capacity.
Permanent further developments of the autoclaves, computer-controlled development, design and production continuously led to today’s company status: world-wide system technology for the food industry.
Another step in the direction of a secure, global market position was the taking over of the company by the SCHOLZ group in the year 1993. After another eight years of joint business activity at the Lübeck site, the company was integrated in the head office of the company SCHOLZ in Coesfeld, Westphalia, for logistic reasons on 1 December 2001
With a successful corporate history spanning way more than 100 years, today LUBECA is one of the world-wide leading technology advisers of the food industry. A competent team, the most exacting quality claims and technologically perfected sterilisation systems guarantee the customers solutions on the highest level. And LUBECA will carry on doing with passion in the future what it has been perfecting for over 100 years: conserving natural quality.